We felt so honored to be announced as winners of round #102 in the photo roulette competition by Carlo and Florence from NextStopWhoKnows.com.
The theme was “Landscape” and here’s our winning photo:
It’s now our turn to host round #103 of #travelphotoroulette and choose a theme… We choose WILDLIFE !
So we’d love to see your favorite wildlife photo, so show us your best shot of any wildlife moment during your travels.
Here are a couple of examples of wildlife photos we’ve taken recently:
Travel Photo Roulette Contest Overview
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and bloggers submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the week of the contest.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions and displays it as the week’s winning entry. They then include direction to the new host for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
It was hard to choose, but this photo stuck out for us. It really captured the essence of this majestic cat. And we’re a bit jealous because we never got to see this animal while we were in Africa earlier this year, and the photo inspired us to want to go back even more for a new opportunity. So this is the winner photo for round #103.
Thanks to everyone who participated and we look forward to the round #104!
Travel Photo Roulette Rules & Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted in this round.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.” Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
How to Enter Travel Photo Roulette #103
Leave a comment below with a link to your photo (WP, Flickr, Trover, etc) and tell us why you’ve picked this specific wildlife photo.
The contest runs for 7 days and will be open for entries until Sunday 31st of May 10pm GMT.
Check back here through the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. We will announce the winner within a couple of days of May 31st, and the winner will host the next round.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook and Twitter so more people can join the contest – make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
Entry #1: Chris from Aussie on the Road
“I got really lucky to come across this lazy leopard while touring the Serengeti last year. He’d just finished feasting on an impala, so he was good and lazy as I snapped about 500 pictures of him.”
Entry #2: Daniël from Globe Trekking.
“Congratulations on your win. I absolutely love this theme. It was such a hard pick for me. Ultimately, I chose this picture. It is the very first wild elephant I saw, relaxing along the banks of the Chobe River in northern Botswana.”
Entry #3: Monica from Flair Code.
“Excited to participate! This was taken in the winter a few years ago when I was in Tudela in the Navarra region of Spain. I love the perspective and clarity of the photo taken with a telezoom lens.”
Entry #4: Leckie from Quit Job. Travel World.
“An easy yet difficult category for us. When you have been to Africa you end up with a LOT of wildlife photos. I’m going to skip the safari shots though and go with a photo of one of my favourite sights throughout Uganda – the longhorn cattle. They just look so disproportioned!”
Entry #5: Tiffany from Vagabond Way.
“I love this theme! We just spent over three months in Africa and had such an amazing time. We were slowly reversing our small car and came eye to eye with this leopard resting under the shade of some trees. Our eyes locked as we each just stared at one another. I will never forget our experience of finding Lady Leopard.”
Entry #6: Shere from Shere y Paul.
“so difficult to choose one picture! I also have been to Africa and have great pictures of baby elephants, but I’m going for the wildlife that it’s just around us every day. When we are not travelling, we spend a lot of time in our garden and in my search for ladybirds as a “bio insecticide” I found this ladybird couple. Actually I put them in our green house and I could even follow their babies growing from egg to metamorphosis.”
Entry #7: Kirsty from No Place To Be.
“It’s so difficult to chose just 1 picture especially when you’ve been on safari! This is a very special experience for both of us – meeting the chimpanzees in Gombe National Park. Here Gremlin is taking a rest from eating termites and trying to shelter from the rain.”
Entry #8: Karen from WorldWideWriter.
“A tough call to choose my favourite wildlife photo – I love them all! But in the end it had to be this cheetah – partly because they’re not that easy to spot, but also because it is walking through the beautiful fynbos vegetation that is unique to the Cape region of South Africa.”
Entry #9: Adam from Getting Stamped.
“To get this shot we trekked deep into the Ugandan rainforest to get within about 5 meters from one of the last 800 Mountain Gorillas left on earth. This shot was of the alpha male in the group, a 200+ Kilo adult Silver Back. We were on foot and he gave us a stare down when we first approached. Amazing experience.”
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One Depth of the Field
- Not hosted anymore
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet? Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50 Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth The 4 Element
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ Viewpoint
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos? Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers Celebrate
- May 2015 Street Food World Tour Epic
- May 2015 Next Stop Who Knows Landscape
- May 2015 We Travel Together Wildlife